- Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications (focusing on magazine journalism), University of South Florida, 1980.
- Poynter Fact-Checking Certificate, Poynter News University, 2017.
- Executive and Managing Editors Program, American Press Institute, 1990.
- Editor and writer, TechGeekFact.com, September 2017 to present.
- Editor and writer, JustEditorial.com and GlennMarston.com, February 2017 to present.
- Editor and writer, InformWell.com, January 2017 to present.
- President, Inform Well, LLC, Bushnell, Fla., October 2014 to present. Online editing and writing, and website development and design.
- Editorial page editor, The Ledger, Lakeland, Fla., January 2007 to July 2014. Wrote editorials and a Sunday column. Edited the editorial and op-ed pages. Headed the editorial board. Beginning in 2007, recorded Editorial Board interviews, producing audio and video podcasts, with 196 episodes on the newspaper’s website and on iTunes.
- Assistant editorial page editor, The Ledger, Lakeland, Fla., April 1997 to January 2007. Edited the editorial and op-ed pages, and perspective section. Trainer and committee member for new news-editing computer system.
- Assistant news editor, The Ledger, April 1993 to April 1997. Oversaw nightly editing of the news pages with a staff of seven. Acted as managing editor on duty. Reported to the assistant managing editor for news. Interim features editor. Chairman of redesign committee.
- Managing editor, Daily Commercial, Leesburg, Fla., August 1988 to April 1993. Oversaw daily newsroom operations with a staff of 40. Reported to the editor.
- Editorial page editor, Daily Commercial, August 1986 to August 1988. Wrote editorials, edited the editorial pages and perspective section, and headed the Editorial Board.
- Reporter, Daily Commercial, February 1984 to August 1986. Assigned to seven beats in two counties at different times.
- Managing editor, Coast News, Crystal River, Fla., August 1981 to February 1984. Chief editor. Edited and reported news, and wrote editorials.
- Assistant editor, Independent Press-West Hernando News Weekend Edition, Brooksville, Fla., April 1981 to August 1981. Designed and launched the newspaper. Edited and reported news.
- Reporter, West Hernando News, Spring Hill, Fla., October 1980 to April 1981.
- Vice President, Florida Press Club, 1989 to 1992.
- American Society of News Editors.
- Florida Society of News Editors.
- Interests include motorsports, technology and travel.
- Author, “Honda Performance Handbook,” published in 1990 by Motorbooks International of Osceola, Wis.
- Automotive articles published in Grassroots Motorsports and Sports Car magazines.
Journalism awards recognized the accomplishments of staff and personal work at the Daily Commercial and The Ledger.
The Daily Commercial was named the one of the best small daily newspapers by the American Society of News Editors in 1989, during tenure as managing editor.
Following are Glenn Marston’s personal journalistic accomplishments and recognition:
CARMAGE WALLS COMMENTARY PRIZE
- First place, 2014.
- Second place, 2013.
- Honorable mention, 2012.
FLORIDA SOCIETY OF NEWS EDITORS
- Editorials, third place, 2014.
- Page 1 layout, first place, 1992.
- Public service, first place, 1992.
- Page 1 layout, third place, 1991.
- Editorials, first place, 1987.
- Public service, first place, 1985.
- Depth reporting, first place, 1985.
- Depth reporting, third place, 1985.
- Features, first place, 1984.
FLORIDA PRESS CLUB
- Front page layout, second place, 1994.
- Gulf War layout, first place, 1992.
- Editorials, first place, 1988.
- Public service, third place, 1987.
- Public service, third place, 1986.
CENTRAL FLORIDA PRESS CLUB
- Editorials, first place, 1989.
- Editorials, first place, 1988.
SCHOOL BELL AWARDS
- Editorials, second place, 1988.
NEW YORK TIMES REGIONAL NEWSPAPERS CHAIRMAN’S AWARD
- Editorials, October 1992.
- Editorials, December 1987.
- Investigative articles, August 1986.
- Investigative articles, February 1986.
- Lighthouse Key editorial page reader-participation project chosen for exhibition by New Directions for News, 1988.
- President's Award, 1987, Lake County NAACP, for editorials’ positive effect on the community.